Certification, in many ways, acts as a compass directing a nurse's clinical practice towards nationally accepted standards. Registered nurses who have attained certification, as well as facilities that support those nurses’ certification goals, are subsequently committed to improving patient outcomes and look to certification to measure their mastery of the knowledge it takes to do so.
Thus, CCI developed the TrueNorth Award to recognize those organizations that use certification as a “true north” to guide their perioperative nursing staff to be lifelong learners, models of competent practice, and advocates for excellence and patient safety.
2019 Winner: Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children
2018 Winner: Reading Hospital SurgiCenter at Spring Ridge and VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System
2017 Winner: Stamford Hospital, Stamford, CT
2016 Winner: Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Portland, OR
2015 Winner: St. Clare Hospital, Lakewood, WA
2014 Winner: Memorial Hermann The Woodlands, Woodlands, TX
2013 Winner: Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, PA
The TrueNorth Award consists of:
- $1,500 for a celebratory reception
- Reception presentation by CCI leadership
- A commemorative recognition plaque
- Five certification vouchers
- Press release and other CCI communication initiatives
Health care organizations that employ certified perioperative nurses or have certified perioperative nurses as members and/or representatives are eligible to apply for this award. Organizations include but are not limited to hospitals, health systems, surgical services departments, ambulatory surgery centers, and AORN chapters. A unit or division of a larger organization is eligible to apply. Organizations that employ any member of the CCI Board of Directors or CCI staff are ineligible. Self-nominations are acceptable.
Applications for 2020 are now closed. Below are the steps to complete your submission once applications open for 2021:
- Review the application instructions
- Gather letters of support from both the organization’s Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and Director of Surgical Services affirming the organization’s commitment to specialty nursing certification
- Complete the online application.
- TrueNorth Scoring Rubrics
- TrueNorth Frequently Asked Questions
- Setting the Course for TrueNorth Webinar (previously taped)
Should you have any questions, we welcome you to contact Lisa Rosenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org.