CCI offers many opportunities for current certificants who would like to be involved in the certification community. Volunteers must hold a current or Emeritus CCI credential to be eligible. The volunteer application window is currently closed.
Would you like a reminder email when applications open? Please fill out the below form.
Receive an Email Reminder When Applications Open on April 1, 2023
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Test Development Committees
Job Analysis Task Force: The purpose of this committee is to determine a set of competencies and skills essential to a specific existing CCI credential. Participants on this committee will analyze work associated with the perioperative nurse and establish the scope of knowledge to be measured through examination for the CFPN, CNOR, CNAMB, or CSSM credential. This committee requires an extended commitment to ensure continuity throughout the process. A combination of 2 remote meetings, completion of 2 online surveys, and participation in 3-5 remote phone conferences will be required during a period of 6 months, possibly inclusive of the Test Specifications Committee work as outlined below. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is informed by the result of each activity and is typically between 15-20 hours in total and 3 hours per remote call.
Test Specifications Committee: This committee concludes the Job Analysis process. Members include volunteers from the Job Analysis Task Force Committee and new volunteers. The goal of this committee is to review the job analysis survey results and create content outlines for the CFPN, CNOR, CNAMB, or CSSM exam blueprint. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is 5-10 hours.
Item Writing Committee: Writers develop exam questions according to the exam blueprint using provided references. Individuals selected for writing items will receive training and materials on how to write a valid, defensible test question. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Item writers will be given a deadline by which to submit all items written and be granted access to e-textbooks to use as references. Time commitment is informed by the results of proceeding activities and is typically between 5-20 hours.
Item Review Committee: The goal of this committee is to review and potentially edit newly written exam questions. Reviewers evaluate a question’s relevance to the exam blueprint, content accuracy, correctness of answers, potential geographic bias, and language clarity. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is informed by the results of proceeding activities and is typically between 5-20 hours.
Standard Setting Committee: Members of this committee critically evaluate new exam forms to determine cut scores that will be used to measure a candidate’s performance. Part of this process entails taking the new form of the exam just as an examinee would. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. The time commitment is roughly 20 hours.
Exam Review Committee: Committee members meet to review all exam questions selected for the exam. Such matters as the correctness of answers, prevention of geographic bias, language clarity, reference updates, and appropriateness of items are considered during the exam review process. This committee review constitutes an ultimate check and balance to validate the final versions of the examination forms. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is roughly 15-20 hours.
Ad Hoc Committee: This committee is assembled to address specific test development tasks not completed by the routine committees listed. This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is informed by the work needing to be completed but is typically between 5-20 hours.
Bias & Sensitivity Committee: The purpose of this committee is to review all publicly available information on CCI’s website and credential handbooks for potential bias and sensitivities (e.g; race, gender, disability). This committee will meet remotely via webinar. Time commitment is roughly 15-20 hours.
Education Product Committee
The Education Product Committee was developed by CCI to assist in the development of sample questions that may be used in test preparation. These sample questions would never appear on the actual exam but may be used in preparation materials. The purpose of the Education Product Committee includes but is not limited to:
- Developing sample questions for CCI credentials to include CNOR, CSSM, CNAMB, CFPN.
- Training will be provided to establish appropriate formatting
- Each volunteer will write to his or her own specialty knowledge
- Each volunteer will be responsible for submitting 10 or 20 questions per activity, as assigned
- Each volunteer will be expected to complete any required edits after they have been reviewed
- Points will be awarded for those who complete the assignments (see the CCI handbook or recertification guide for specific points allowance)
Board of Directors
The CCI Board of Directors is accepting applications for board service for 3-year terms, which will begin in Spring, 2024.
- Board service is for an initial three-year term with an option to extend it for an additional three years. The initial term begins after Surgical Conference & Expo.
- Board members must attend three in-person meetings per year. The Spring meeting is in the same location as Surgical Conference & Expo. The other two meetings are in Denver.
- Board members should be prepared to commit approximately 6-8 hours per month to independent work.
- Board members must also participate in committee work as assigned.
- Applicants must hold an active CCI credential and be employed in perioperative practice (clinical, educator, consultant, etc.)
- Applicants must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or higher in nursing
- Applicants must have previous leadership experience
- Applicants must have previous volunteer service with CCI on a committee or task force
- Foundational Thinking
- Analytical Skills