About the Certified Foundational Perioperative Nurse (CFPN®) Credential
The CFPN credential will launch in July 2021. CFPN certification is designed to give perioperative nurses a firm foundation for career-long professional development success. Earning the CFPN entails a diversity of assessments, reflective learning activities, and a knowledge-based exam—a total of four key components that will guide the early career of a perioperative nurse.
- 2-year credential with no recertification mechanism
- Certificants will earn a Credly digital badge for each component and the credential itself
- Fast track to CNOR and CNAMB with lessened eligibility requirements (earning the CFPN is not a requirement to apply for CNOR or CNAMB certifications)
- Discount on CNOR and CNAMB exam application fees
Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- RN License: current, unrestricted RN license in state or country of practice
- Perioperative Orientation Program: certificate of completion from an orientation program. Program must have both didactic and clinical components. Course syllabus or content outline will be required if your application is audited.
- Experience: Up to 23 months of experience from initial hire date in the OR.
- Role and Status: Currently working full- or part-time in perioperative nursing, including nursing education, administration, research or clinical practice.
The knowledge-based test must be completed first. After passing the exam, the nurse will move on to the other three activities. Candidates will earn a digital badge after successful completion of each component. When all four components are complete, a digital badge for the certification will be awarded celebrating the achievement of earning the CFPN credential.
CCI’s CFPN knowledge-based test is taken online via a remote, secure, and proctored exam experience provided by our testing vendor, PSI.
- 120 multiple-choice questions
- 2.5 hours to complete the exam online
- Results are pass or fail
16pf® Competency Report
Assesses 16 primary personality factors to measure skills and traits nurses will need to be successful throughout their careers. Candidates receive PSI’s 16pf® Competency Report with interpretive information and professional development tips.
- 45-minute online assessment hosted by PSI
- Online, non-proctored; report accessible in CCI account
- Identifies key personality characteristics that contribute to on-the-job success
- Recognizes a candidate’s potential for leadership and preferred leadership style
- Addresses the essential soft skills that contribute to competency in perioperative nursing practice
Self-Assessment of Competency
Measured using the Perceived Perioperative Competence Scale (PPCS-R), accessed in the Candidate’s CCI account.
- 15-minute self-assessment of the Candidate’s perception of their perioperative knowledge and skills
- Online, non-proctored, not a graded activity
- Candidates will receive a feedback report including context for their scores in relation to other perioperative nurses
Reflective Learning Exercise
The final component for earning the credential. Candidates will develop a personal development plan for the next two years of their careers—the duration of the CFPN credential.
- Includes CCI’s reflective learning form for guidance
- Pass or fail activity accessed via CCI account
CFPN Launch Timeline
- Online Applications Open: July 1, 2021
- CFPN Testing Windows Begin: August 1, 2021
The CFPN application fee is $195, and includes all four components.
CFPN Exam Preparation Resources
- CCI’s CFPN Study Plan with CFPN exam references and bibliography
- Sample CFPN Practice Questions
- CFPN Candidate Handbook
For More Information
To be notified when applications open, fill out the form below. For more information on the credential, contact Skyllar Roach, CCI’s Credentialing Associate at 303-368-6743 or email email@example.com.